a simple man in a complex world

Friday, July 21, 2006

what the wtf?

I'm now pissed at canada.

first of all, it took them almost eight weeks to process miyuki's tax return. but when they finally did, they completely screwed us.

I did her taxes using an online tax preparer dealie, like how I always do mine. I've never understood taxes, canadian taxes doubly so. I like the idiot proof nature of those computer programs... you plug in various figures from your forms, and it does everything for you.

we thought we had a return of over $1100 coming. that was going to finally get us a new computer.

they've decided she gets $214 back. because she moved away from canada. her moving down here cost her $900 in tax return. I guess in canada, when you only make $17k a year (in eight months), you have to pay more taxes than you would if you earned $25k (in twelve months). seriously, what kind of damn math is that?

now, when I moved TO canada, I got a HUGE tax refund. why? I only worked part of the year, but was paying taxes as though I'd be working the whole time. as it worked out, I ended up ridiculously overpaying because my wages were prorated, and it knocked me into a much lower tax bracket. the same thing happened the first year back in the states, since I only worked four months I got damn near every penny back (I had an income ofless than $8k that year, but paid taxes as if I earned $25k). we figured the same would be true when miyuki came down. and our initial assessment of her tax refund was what we expected, she was to get a large chunk back because she only worked there eight months...

what the fuck is up with that? they decided she needed to pay MORE taxes because she moved away? that's the most retarded thing I've ever heard. and the president of my country is a fucking moron.

1 Comments:

At 4:18 PM , Blogger Kate said...

do u have anyone who can look at the return for you? my dad has a guy who does our whole family's...and generally i think i've done ok (except the year i paid taxes, but that was because i declared my business' income). if there's something wrong, he deals with revenue canada for us and generally we get the problems fixed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home