a simple man in a complex world

Monday, May 01, 2006

geek cred.

I've proven myself far more geeky than any of my coworkers. yeah, the "electric sheep" t-shirt had already pretty much sealed that dubious honour, but I cemented it for all time today.

one of the salespeople gave me a UPS red order today for an emergency shipment.. I told her we didn't have any of the control boards available, we had two but they were needed for other jobs. she asked me to steal one from my production guy... he REALLY hates it when I do that, and will usually try to stop me.

so I snuck in, snagged the board and packed it up before he noticed it was gone. when I went in to tell her the order would ship, I said "many bothans died to bring us this sale"... she stared at me dumbfounded. so I figured I'd ask around to the other geekly types to see if THEY got the reference.

no one did.

I don't know which is more sad, that no one I work with gets a marginally obscure star wars quote, or that I was really upset by it...

2 Comments:

At 8:23 AM , Blogger Paul said...

It's only barely obscure: observe.

Your coworkers are an embarrassment.

 
At 9:51 AM , Blogger christian said...

dood, referencing penny-arcade as an anti-geek argument is self-defeating...

however, it's not like I asked them HOW the many bothans died or anything... (shadows of the empire)... I used to be a HUGE star wars geek, read probably the first twenty books released in the 90s. until I realised that everything after the thrawn trilogy was exactly the same, and got bored.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home