a simple man in a complex world

Saturday, December 31, 2005

best of '05.

top ten flicks:

10. revenge of the sith
9. broken flowers
8. batman begins
7. waiting...
6. hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
5. kung fu hustle
4. unleashed
3. serenity
2. sin city
1. 3-iron

in all, a pretty weak year cinematically. I'm ashamed to even have sith on my list, but have to admit it wasn't as bad as I feared. and I did see it twice. and sure, I saw the incredibles and ray, but they didn't do much for me. there were several disappointments (the ringer, land of the dead, thumbsucker), and a few surprises (ong-bak, saving face, year of the yao)... honourable mentions would go to the sea inside, hotel rwanda, a very long engagement and bride and prejudice. dishonourables to izo, the world and nobody knows, if for now other reason than I was scared of miyuki's people for awhile after watching it.

I don't even have a list of music... I didn't buy much. I like death cab's new album, but thought translatlanticism was better. I'm really digging on matisyahu. picaresque by the decemberists didn't disappoint. I like aqualung a lot. but the best album I discovered in 2005 has to be funeral by the arcade fire. I listened to that thing non-stop for about three months... technically not a 2005 album, but I've always been late to pick up on things, I'm pretty sure I didn't hear about it til spring of '05. I don't really feel like digging through old archives of questionable content to find when he first mentioned it, but I know that's when I went looking for them....

otherwise, too much of my year isn't easily quantifiable into handy top ten lists. I've definitely got a better job, nicer apartment and happier homelife at the end of the year than I did at the beginning. I think that's what's most important, anyway.

1 Comments:

At 10:14 AM , Blogger Paul said...

Just watched Crash and The Constant Gardener... they're worth a look too. Pretty craptacular year overall, though I haven't seen Munich or Syriana. King Kong and War of the Worlds weren't bad either.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home