a simple man in a complex world

Saturday, December 24, 2005

happy sickmas.

boy, this is gonna be an xmas to remember...

last day of work, one of my coworkers had come down with a cold. she caught it from another coworker. she also decided to use my desk for about half an hour. talked on the phone, used my computer, all that. but then made a point of taking me pen, because she "got her germs all over it." lo and behold, by bedtime that night I had a sore throat.

came down to see my family. had to go to a crappy funeral for my aunt's father in law. wasn't even related to the guy, barely knew him. had a couple awkward moments there too... first was when the pastor made a tim allen joke (complete with grunting) about the deceased. second was the anecdote about how he shot down a low flying japanese bomber during WWII by shooting and killing the pilot, and how the salvaged wreckage of the plane gave the US some sort of advantage gained by reverse engineering the plane and all that. to hear the guy tell the story, this dead guy single handedly turned the war. you'd think he shot down the friggin' death star. and of course I had to point out to miyuki that not only was she the only asian in the entire church (it's friggin' longview, people), but we were actually mourning someone who killed one of her people. my family couldn't believe I said that, at least until my dad swore in church. "none of this shit for me," I believe his words were. my sister was in shock that he said "shit" inside a church. I REALLY wanted to say "fuck yeah!" but didn't have the balls.

anyway, we're thinking maybe the food at the sons of norway reception afterwards was tainted. my toddler nephew already had a stomach bug, but last night my sister started ralphing everywhere as well. and today my bro in law an another nephew got sick as well. there's one healthy nephew out fo the whole clan, and that may not last til morning.

because my sister got sick, she had to cancel our plans for an "ethnic double date"... she really wanted to try some new cuisine. we were thinking indian or japanese. when they cancelled, we asked my parents. they said definitely no way to japanese, but offered to try indian. and they sincerely seemed impressed at the time. today, however, they described it as "looking like baby shit"... oh well. it's a wonder I'm even related to them.

and tonight, my mom came down with a nasty cold. probably from me. miyuki has a bit of a sore throat, but we don't know yet if she's getting sick or not. my dad is also so far unaffected, but who knows if he'll stay that way.

my nana will probably use all of this as an excuse to boycott all the xmas festivities, too. she usually finds some reason to not go anyway, but this will be closer to a real excuse. we don't know what's going on with my grandma. we visited her in the rest home today, and she was REALLY out of it. kept mumbling about how she needed to renew her drivers license. two problems with that: her birthday is in july, and she hasn't had a drivers license in at least ten years anyway. my dad has once again prophesised this to be her last xmas. he's said that every year for as long as I can remember. he may be right this time around. miyuki and I have agreed that we hope humanity pulls its head out of its ass in the next fifty years and realises euthanasia is a good thing. it's much cheaper than a one wa ticket to the north pole, after all. mmmm, ice floes.

time for bed. I threatened my mom with waking up at 3am to open presents. you know, for old time's sake. she wasn't amused.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home