a simple man in a complex world

Friday, November 25, 2005

you can never go home again.

miyuki and I are at my parents' house for the holiday weekend. it's always weird coming here. they've only lived in this house a couple years, it was never "home" to me. I always feel like a guest here, and never know where anything goes.

we had a mellow thanksmurder dinner. our friend jenn came down with us, because she couldn't get to her family (she has to work today). she knows my family (works for the same company as my dad and bro-in-law), so it was nice for her to be with a family, even if it wasn't her own. she took the train back to seattle last night.

I've already had two leftover turkey sammiches. first was about 9pm last night, and I think it was a mistake. I didn't sleep well at all, and I attribute much of it to the sammich. the lack of cats, noise, and street lights through the windows probably also threw me off. damn suburbs. but I ended up having two VERY weird dreams that kept me up most of the night. not nightmares, but they got me so ANGRY I couldn't sleep. the first had something to do with two annoying goth girls we had for neighbours (no idea why) that had little voodoo cats made out of paper. they were using them to try to kill our cats. I ended up making my own paper voodoo-cat of THEIR pet, and ate it. then I woke up. second dream took place at safeco field, and dealt with a really annoying concession vendor. I thought I found a really good deal on corn dogs (two for $2), but when I got them, one was half eaten. I ended up missing the entire game demanding (and being refused) a replacement corn dog or refund (I'm stupidly stubborn even in my dreams), and then couldn't find miyuki after the game. so I just stared at where the ceiling would have been for an hour or so (it's REALLY dark in the guest room here), and finally just got up a couple hours before I had planned. so much for sleeping in.

I was also reminded of one of my dad's most amusing neuroses while I was taking a shower. he refuses to use bars of soap once they get to a certain size. there were four mini-bars of soap in the shower, all about the size of a hotel bar, and a brand new bar he had just opened. I assume I am like most people, and when the soap gets too small to use properly, I'll open a new bar, and mold the smaller soap bit onto the new bar. not my dad. so I molded the four small bars into two slightly larger bars, and used them. tomorrow, I'll try to form those two into a larger bar. wasting soap like that just seems silly...

it's gonna be a boring weekend. we've got plans to see a few friends, and we have to run a couple of errands while we're down here. but mostly, it's just going to be boring. we already saw a crappy movie yesterday ('just friends.' my sister picked it, and my sister has horrendous taste in movies), and we'll probably see at least one more while we're here (harry potter, jarhead or ice harvest).

blah.

2 Comments:

At 5:52 PM , Blogger Corinne said...

I like not knowing where anything is at my parents' house. It's a sign I am a guest. So while I can't easily help otu with cooking or putting away the dishes, I am also encouraged to raid the pantry for goodies.

 
At 11:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i swear that jerry seinfeld had a whole routine about "soap melding"...
-CHA!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home