a simple man in a complex world

Saturday, November 05, 2005

fuck directv.

so I got so sick of comcast that I went looking for other options for tv and interweb. we opted for directv. cheaper than cable, and a nice nhl package.

problem is, it doesn't work in the rain. I live in seattle. it's going to rain for the next six months. we have no signal. I have a black screen where my hockey should be. hockey I paid $130 for and had planned on wearing a nice groove into my couch watching.

I call up directv. they tell me they can send a tech out tuesday. gee, I was kinda hoping to watch my habs and canucks games NOW. I ask about cancelling my service. I have a year commitment, they tell me it's $150 to break my contract. I told them they've already broken it by failing to live up to reasonable expections. I'm sorry, normal seattle november rain (heh) should not be considered "serious weather"... the bimbo on the phone tells me one of their customers in the south survived wilma until their power went out, but never lost a signal. I asked why a little rain could knock out my dish when 100+ mph winds wouldn't. she couldn't tell me. instead she gave me $5 off my bill and free showtime for the next six months. and if I want to look into a "dish cover" they'll reiumburse me up to $70 as a credit on my bill. meanwhile, my saturday night is shot. this means I'll actually have to spend time paying attention to my wife!

but in other news, this this is the awesomest thing I have ever heard.

3 Comments:

At 8:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very recognizable if nothing else.

R

 
At 12:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

that must be what we have here on our lobby tv @ work. every time it rains, the thing seems to die or else it gets all weird-digitally-scrambled-looking. yeah, you brought up the same point that we did here about this being a rainy place. & like i mentioned in my own journal today, "newer" (in this case meaning newer technology") doesn't always mean better. it seems like everyone's coming up with all these new digital products/services that are supposedly "better quality" but i'm beginning to think it's all a sham. dvds suck, it's never guaranteed that one will work in all dvd players. & actually, every dvd player we've had in my house has had some kind of problem just playing dvds. last weekend me & devon were trying to watch a dvd on their dvd player & it just would not read the dvd. this prompted us both to say, "man, i miss vhs...those you could just throw around...& they always worked....you didn't have to keep checking all the connections all the time..." well, o.k. there's my rant for the day....
-CHA!

 
At 7:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As for your DISH going in and out in the rain, there is no reason other than a bad install. If you are losing signal in normal (no 100+ winds) rain that typically means that either the LNBF (the eyeballs) are no longer functioning properly, OR that the dish itself is not mounted properly. I comment on this post as a DISH employee, and one consumer to another; that DISH is not like this. We guarantee all our installs and if there are any questions or hesitations we are always available to help whether it be a tech or a customer service rep. Now I can tell you if your dish does have a mound of snow on it, then it is most likely not going to work. However, you will appreciate your service more with DISH due to the shear fact that you will be saving a LOT of money.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home