a simple man in a complex world

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I think I have mono.

at least that would explain while I've felt so run down lately. it sucks. I'm been going to bed earlier, oversleeping a bit... I don't do much other than work and sleep, it seems. I have been putting in about 10 hours a day, and it's been grueling this week. trying to do too much, still learning what I'm doing, blah blah blah...

I got a call from my former 401k provider. they're going to be sending me two cheques. the 80% cheque is rolled over to an IRA retirement fund. the 20% cheque will be made out directly to me, after tax withholdings. what worries me is the total they gave me. it's amount to $15,731.80. I wasn't aware I had that much in retirement. it has me wondering if they forgot to subtract the $2500 or so that was still owed against my loan. I have a bad feeling they're gonna come after me for that later on. that company has fucked up countless times, so it'll happen. it'll be nice to put a couple thousand back in savings and not have to worry about it. with miyuki hopefully starting work next month, maybe we can even leave it there without touching it. or heaven fobid, add to the nest egg...

I am thinking of using ING's feature of opening several sub-accounts to my savings. have one for a house, one for vacation fund, one for a vespa fund, one for a new computer, etc. I do wonder if it would be to my advantage to leave it all in one account tho, to benefit from compound interest. I'll have to do the math on that, see if it makes any difference. I don't think it should.

also crunched some numbers and realised if miyuki can find a job that earns just $11 an hour (which shouldn't be difficult given her office experience), we're gonna have enough income to put several hundred dollars per month away for savings, down payment on a house, vacations, and various fun. woo for fiscal responsibility!

2 Comments:

At 12:39 PM , Blogger Owen said...

Compund interest will give you the same amount, regardless of how much is actually in the account. 5 accounts with $100 earn the same interest as 1 with $500 in it.

I do the same thing. One for money I'm not supposed to touch (doing good - going one a year now with no withdrawls), and one that I'm supposed to spend (save up for a big ticket item, buy it, use the urge to buy too many smaller ticket items.

 
At 2:25 PM , Blogger christian said...

yeah, I did the math last night over a few years, and it came out the same. I normally trust my math, so that's good.

we're gonna have one big account for a house, no touchy. then at least two other accounts, one for a vacation fund so we can travel, and one for toys... first up is gonna be a new computer, I suspect. this pismo is pissing me off lately. 400mhz G3 and 192MB of RAM just doesn't cut it anymore...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home