a simple man in a complex world

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

overwhelmed and under the influence.

the newest "just say no" type ad campaign for kids is called "over the influence"... that's just BEGGING to be mocked. kinda like how in high school, my friends and I used to hug each other while shouting, "hugs, not drugs!" while baked off of our asses...

work is getting overwhelming. I've reached the point where I'm being turned to and expected to handle stuff that is far beyond my meagre training. I'm discovering all sorts of crap my predecessor didn't mention. much of it never came up in my nine days of training, but I suspect a lot of it had to do with the fact that she was about fourteen months pregnant and days away from quitting. of course she wasn't going to give a shit.

problem is, my boss was tied up in meetings all day yesterday. and he was AWOL this morning. so everything that had been piled on my desk since monday is still there. and it'll STILL be there tomorrow. you know, thursday. it's had me wondering about the security of staying at a job you hate, but can do in your sleep. I keep reminding myself I'll get this down soon enough and it'll be second nature too, but right now, it's just damn HARD. and well, I'm lazy.

I had to leave work today at 11:30 too. I had stayed late the past few work days to build up the comp time, but it still sucked to leave such a massive heap on my desk. had to take miyuki down to the dept of homey security. in TUKWILA. that's like half an hour away. heaven forbid they have an office downtown with the rest of the govt buildings. nooooo, they had to put their office on the far side of boeing field. it was ridiculous. so was the nearly four hours we wasted there getting her "biometrics" done. she won't tell me what biometrics mean. she says it was just a picture. but they already had pictures, and it shouldn't cost $70 and take four hours to take a picture. I think they took DNA or something. or maybe they probed her and she's embarassed to tell me. anyway, it's hopefully the last step we have to do. now we just wait for her work visa (sometime in the next month) and her green card (sometime in march or april). she can start working with the visa, but can't return to canada until she gets the green card. it's totally lame. worst part about the whole ordeal was I didn't get anything to eat all day. I never eat breakfast, and didn't have time for lunch. I bought a small bag of pretzels from the vending machine, and that's all I'd eaten todat until we stopped at jack in the box for $1 chicken sammiches at 4pm. they were just to hold us over til dinner around 6:30 or so...

blah. I want it to be the weekend.

1 Comments:

At 8:46 PM , Blogger Corinne said...

My "new" position turned out to be barely part-time for someone who has half a brain, so when David (18 years with the company) up and quit, his job was saddled to me. I'm fine with that, but he is very resistant to offer me any reasonable training for the position. It's not really HARD so much as it is impossible to do something when it requires full knowledge of everything about the company and not getting an explanaition. Long stopry short, I am feeling your pain.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home