a simple man in a complex world

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

crashing in a jet plane...

so I'm wondering about the timing of that plane crash in toronto today, as it's coming JUST far enough ahead of my trip to alaska to freak me out. I haven't been on a plane in thirteen years. I've had less than stellar experiences on them too (worst flight was with a case of walking pneumonia, I thought my head was going to explode from the unbearable sinus pressure).

I'm actually not afraid of flying at all. the thing that bothers me the most is the germy environment. I've been stockpiling on 'airborne' leading up to the flight to hopefully prevent getting sick. but the idea of a plane crash? doesn't bother me. if you're on a plane that goes down, there's not a bloody thing you can do about it. so just sit back and enjoy the ride.

I tend to get a wonderful sense of euphoric denial when bad things happen, so they don't bother me much.

what I'm most concerned about for my trip on thursday is screwing up somehow. not getting my car to the right parking lot or not finding my flight or something equally ridiculous. since I haven't flown since childhood, I have no idea what you're actually supposed to DO when you fly. doesn't help matters that things have changed significantly in the past four years as well.

it'll be an adventure anyway. I'll have my ipod, a book and gameboy in tow, that's for sure...

3 Comments:

At 7:53 AM , Blogger christian said...

I got there TOO early. was stuck in the terminal for well over two hours.

brought the ipod, but couldn't find my good earbuds. was stuck with the apple ones, which are too big and uncomfortable. couldn't listen to it too long.

also was surprised I couldn't sleep. I can normally sleep through anything.

 
At 8:08 PM , Blogger Corinne said...

Flights from Seattle to Alaska aren't long.

 
At 11:29 PM , Blogger christian said...

three and a half hours are pretty boring when you can't read 'cos you get nauseous...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home