a simple man in a complex world

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

more fun with idiot coworkers.

yesterday one of our drivers got into a minor traffic accident. a truck tried to pass him and clipped his heated mirror, shattering it. because it will cost about $100 to replace, the driver had to go in for a drug screen.

so I got to drive him to the peepee store. and along the way, we tried making conversation. he noticed the GIR tattoo on my leg, and asked who it was. this got us into a conversation about cartoons and animation, which eventually led to asian animation.

him: "I don't like that japanese crap. all that pokemon and stuff just bothers me."
me: "there's a lot more to anime than thirty minute commercials for shitty card games. have you seen akira? or ghost in the shell?"
him: "haven't heard of those. I did see one amazing japanese movie a few months back, however. it wasn't a typical japanese movie, it was very americanised. have you seen 'kung fu hustle'?"
me: "that's chinese. and it's spoofing the chinese kung fu movie. chow does flicks like that all the time. he isn't pandering to an american audience."
him: "it's chinese? oh, well it was still really good."

now, I like to poke fun at miyuki about her being korean or chinese or whatever, but I know the difference. it baffles me that someone could think that kung fu hustle was japanese. and this is a guy who has lived all over the world, in the military...

another example was the logic used by the counter guys here... we're on the eastside, and we have a showroom that caters to high end rich housewives who want to renovate their bathrooms for tens of housands of dollars. these hundred pound women drive in with their fifty thousand dollar, six ton SUVs, and of course they can't park the bloody things. so if I'm coming back from lunch and there's no parking, you can bet your ass it's because some rich-bitch housewife has her sports utility tank parked over two spaces. and I'm not allowed to march upstairs and tell these women that if they can't park it, they shouldn't drive it.

furthermore, I've been told that some people NEED to drive things like hummers. I argue from a utilitarian tack, saying no one needs a vehicle that doesn't fit inside standard parking spaces and guzzles gas at a rate of three miles per gallon. they all seem to confuse WANT and NEED. in their little peabrains, some people NEED to drive those glaring status symbols...

it's no coincidence that I've only ever seen one person at this branch read a book. and even then, they're trash novels... but at least it's reading. the only thing my boss ever reads is BILLIONAIRE YACHT magazines... he's completely obsessed with paul allen's boat, and no one can figure out why.

I really want out of here... spent much of the weekend watching sports night and scrubs dvds. and I can't possibly express how badly I want the sort of buddy dynamic I see on tv. where's the dan rydell to my casey mccall? the turk to my jd?

3 Comments:

At 11:16 AM , Blogger beezlebozoclown said...

I got several buddy dynamics at my job but i make 8.50 an hour after taxes.

 
At 2:08 PM , Blogger christian said...

there's the rub. you can do something you love, or do something that pays the bills. it's rare to get both in the same job.

 
At 7:00 PM , Blogger Kate said...

it's very rare to have the buddy dynamic if you're the supervisor.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home