a simple man in a complex world

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

reason #52 why I want the hell out of this branch.

as much as the warehouse monkeys piss me off with their mistakes, I can handle those... most of them are kids, early 20s, get paid shit and just don't care. what pisses me off more is the showroom girls. they have years of experience and should know better. yet when they fuck up, it costs a LOT more... perfect example I stumbled across today:

special order fireclay sink. we sell it to the customer for about $800. it normally costs us about $550. we make great profit margin because it's a special order showroom thing. stupid showroom girl gets a tracking number, is told it was delivered. she can't find it, and rather than asking for help, orders another sink. this time she orders it not from the vendor, but from another supplier, which means we pay about $725 for it. the original sink is received the next day.

the second, much more expensive sink arrives a week later and is delivered to the customer, at a profit of 10%. the original sink, which we could have sold for 45% profit, is now doomed to sit in my inventory forever, being a special order item. I can either sit on it, praying for someone to take it off my hands a year down the road, all the while paying the 2% fee my corporate office charges for inventory costs ($11 a month for however many months, which ultimately comes off my final profit margin), or send it back to the vendor at a 25% restock fee ($137.50). if the sink leaves here in less than a year, I lose less money than paying the restock fee. if it's here longer than a year, I'm better off taking the one time hit.

either way, when you factor in the hundred plus dollars to our original cost on the second sink, I'm in the neighbourhood of $850 for a sink I just sold to the customer for $800. can you do the math, kids? I just lost $50, a net loss of $300 in profit, all because that dumb bitch thinks she can do my job. she managed to turn a 45% profit margin into a a negative 10% hit on the branch, and ultimately my salary. and this happens all the time.

it's no wonder this branch is struggling...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home