a simple man in a complex world

Monday, July 11, 2005

stuck between a rock and a dilemma.

things just got a bit more interesting on the job front. I heard back from my dad's boss, the southern district manager. of all the DMs, I know him best and get along with him well. and he is, in fact, opening a new store south of portland in september. and he said I'd be a great fit for it. two of the people in the running to manage it I know and get along with as well. there wouldn't be much more money (in all likelihood I take a small pay cut due to state income tax), but portland is a great city and my family would be nearby. job prospects for miyuki would be a lot better as well. basically, it's a better non-work situation. the job itself would still be challenging and a good experience too.

so I'm thinking my price for moving to anchorage just went up. I'm meeting with the DM for anchorage wednesday night. at a bar. we're gonna discuss everything then, so I imagine that's when numbers will finally surface. if he blows me away, I'm still willing to take anchorage. miyuki and I both see it as a challenge and an interesting change of pace. it will be tough tho, as it means we'd be cut off from friends and family. butif we can put in two years up there and bank enough money to buy a house somewhere, it'll be worth it.

I just have to decide what my magic number is gonna be. before I had figured if they could make my base salary what my total earnings were last year (including bonus and OT, a raise of about $5k a year) it would be worth it. now tho, I'm thinking I might hold out for $10k more. knowing I can fall back on portland and still be wanted down there gives me a lot of leverage. and I don't even need to worry about burning bridges, as I've been very candid about only heading north for the right package, and the southern DM is the one that recommended me anyway... it's not like he'd be "stealing" me or anything...

guess we'll see what happens wednesday night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home