a simple man in a complex world

Monday, June 27, 2005

that's about right...

when I turned ten back in the summer of '87, two weeks after school had finished for the year, I invited every one of my classmates, thirty or so in all. one kid showed up, because his mother forced him to, and he left twenty minutes later. I didn't even like the kid, he was just given an invitation along with everyone else in my class.

it would be nice to think that since I was ten, times have changed. birthdays have become more sophisticated. people less cruel. skins thicker. instincts more developed. but there seems to be an element of that afternoon in every birthday that's happened to me since. all my birthday memories are a scrambled version of that tenth one.

yeah yeah, cruelly ripped from hornby/cusack. fuck off, it fits.

I don't like making a big deal out of birthdays. mostly because they're always horrible. however, I did mention to my coworkers that it would be nice to go out for a beer after work, sit at the bar for an hour or so, try to enjoy myself.

every single coworker bailed on me. all twelve of them. I guess I know what they really think of me. not that I didn't know before, but I had half hoped they'd at least pretend for an hour or so that they thought I was an okay guy.

and to top it all off, I got stuck at work waiting for the last driver to get back to base. I couldn't even leave on time.

so now I'm gonna go home, drink a pint of vodka, do some laundry and watch sports night...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home