a simple man in a complex world

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

fuck it's cold.

so I have a potential job offer in anchorage. financial end of it isn't sussed out yet, but it's a definite growth opportunity and will fast track me to one of the high paying jobs in my company (outside sales or management). if I go to alaska for two years, I'll set myself up nicely for an $80k a year job when I'm thirty.

I'm scared to death of moving to alaska. in the winter there's less than six hours of daylight. it's below freezing nearly seven months of the year. driving to see family is out of the question.

but I look at the people I know who HAVE forced themselves to uproot and move to different parts of the world, hell, even different parts of the continent, and they're better people for it. they've got better stories and a better idea of who they are. they've seen things most people don't see.

the summers in alaska are supposed to be the best on earth. I've been told the four months of summer even makes the eight months of winter worth bearing.

but mostly, it's just for two years. it's an opportunity to bank some extra money. see a different part of the world. experience a different culture. get mauled by a bear. I'm leaning towards doing it. I've been stuck in a rut lately, and I've felt like a bit of a pussy for not taking any risks with my life. even if I decide to leave the company in two years to go back to canada, it'll be valuable experience.

miyuki's on board, which helps. knowing I won't be going anywhere alone is comforting. still scares the crap out of me tho...

so anyone wanna provide some pointers on how to deal with the cold?

2 Comments:

At 9:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm...well, how cold is it going to be? devon's sister moved up to alaska @ one point & i don't remember exactly where she moved to in alaska, but she said it wasn't that cold. the only thing i remember hearing her mention that she disliked about it was that it seemed like all the bars up there were really, really, REALLY into bluegrass music. to this day she freaks out @ the sound of bluegrass.
-CHA!

 
At 10:08 AM , Blogger christian said...

I don't barhop much... but there are, on average, 192 days below freezing per year. you've got seven months of winter. and six hours of daylight for much of it.

still haven't decided. depends on what's offered in oregon, and what kind of money they pony up for anchorage.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home