a simple man in a complex world

Friday, October 14, 2005

la dee fricken da.

so today wasn't so bad. I dropped the girls off downtown about 11am, still haven't heard back. told miyuki she has to buy stuff while shopping too, 'cos so far she hasn't spent anything on herself. her dad gave us a belated wedding prezzie of cash tho, so it seems logical to make her spend at least some of it on stuff she wants. everything thus far has been on needs, things for the house and whatnot. she hasn't bought shoes or purses or clothes or anything. I'm worried she'll turn into a man if she keeps this up...

I went and had sushi for lunch. it was tasty. I got a library card, since the ballard library is right up the street. I wandered around about twenty blocks before I finally ended up at the post office, looking for a mail drop box. the two I knew about from my last stint in ballard were gone. I got a hawaiian punch slurpee, which was tasty.

I paced off my new work commute. it took me ten minutes to walk each way. what I'd call a brisk pace, but nothing more than my usual walk. I didn't lolly-gag, but I wasn't out of breath either. the extra exercise will be good, and it'll be great to shed all of that gas consumption I'd been stuck with.

on my way to work each morning I'll pass a cool coffee shop, I figure I'll get a cup of coffee each morning there and not drink any at the office (again, trying to be healthy by cutting back from the 4-6 cups I've been drinking). and on the way home, I walk right past the jolly roger and bit saloon, two ballard bars with lots of character. never actually been in either, but they, like most ballard bars, seem to have a lot of personality.

I'm still in shock about all of this. it all seems so great, I'm just dreading the other shoe dropping and something horrible happening. that's usually what happens to me when something good occurs. maybe I've finally outgrown that, we'll see.

two other somewhat unrelated items... got a congratulatory email from the woman who first interviewed me for the new job. before I only got her work email, which didn't list her last name. this was from her personal email account. she has the same last name as my new boss. a somewhat unusual last name. and while it may be a coincidence, I think there's some sort of relation there. she had mentioned that while she didn't work for the company, she was familiar with it and had helped with their hiring for years. I also put a call into the headhunter agency I had used, to let them know I was no longer looking for a new job. asked for my contact, was told he was no longer working there. asked for whoever was managing my account now, and was told, "he's no longer here, so no one is." gee, that's swell, considering they told me not to apply for anything because it might interfere with whatever they were working on. seeing as I had only received one crap lead in two months, I'm glad I went off on my own. that seems like a really shitty way to run a company tho. someone leaves, so you just abandon all of his clients without even contacting them?

4 Comments:

At 9:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, don't even bother with the jolly roger - it's a regular old sports bar, there's nothing "piratey" inside it AT ALL, & it's completely devoid of any character. me & my friends felt totally ripped off the one time we went there, never bothered to go back after that.

the bit's cool though. TONS of character in that place.
-CHA!

 
At 4:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like all the signs on the bit saloon exclaiming how "woman friendly" it is... seems a tad unusual to me. most bars I go to aren't exactly hostile to the fairer sex.

 
At 2:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, not usually...the only "bad" experience i've had @ any bar was extremely weak drinks @ the mecca while my guy friends got drinks with average alcohol content. bastard - never went back there again.
-CHA!

 
At 7:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

see, that's why I drink beer. it takes all the bartender variability out of the equation.

well, that and I don't make a TOTAL drunken ass of myself.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home