a simple man in a complex world

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

boycott regal cinemas.

let no one argue that I am not a petty man. I am.

a $1.50 charge showed up on my most recent bank statement for a non-bank ATM fee. problem with this? I never use anthing except my bank's ATMs. so I called. and they gave me the details.

$18.00 from regal cinemas in redmond on 8/29.

what's the significance of this? miyuki and I went to see a movie at that theatre. there was a big line at the box office, but we had noticed they finally installed an automated box office. so I decided we'd do this. I bought the two tickets, no cash back or anything else. punched in my access code, got the tickets and we went in.

washington mutual considers this kiosk an ATM. so they charged me $1.50 for using it. problem is, the theatre didn't advertise it as an ATM. they advertised it as an automated kiosk, just use your debit or credit card... no different than the self-serve lanes at a grocery store. and the fact that you could get cash back isn't a tip off either, you can get cash back from any debit transaction that requires your PIN.

so I call the bank, they tell me to take it up with the theatre. I call the theatre, they tell me to call their corporate office in knoxville, tennessee. by the time I'm done paying with that phone bill (it's a toll call), it wouldn't be worth getting my buck fiddy back. so it's too much trouble to do that.

it isn't, on the other hand, too difficult to boycott regal cinemas. there are plenty of loews and landmark theatres around here, I don't need to go to regal at all. so congratulations, regal. that buck fiddy has cost you my business, which was only a paltry couple hundred bucks a year... but it's going to your competition instead.

5 Comments:

At 5:57 PM , Blogger Corinne said...

I'm sure they have email.

 
At 9:11 PM , Blogger christian said...

I'm sure they'd either ignore it or send me some crappy automated response and not change anything.

it's not worth fighting for. it's the priniciple of a $1.50 charge because they didn't advertise their "service" properly. so I just won't go back.

 
At 11:49 PM , Blogger Corinne said...

i thought you'd be up for a rousing debate.

Could you not call them from work one day so that you don't ahve to pay?

 
At 8:10 AM , Blogger christian said...

my employer tracks long distance by employee number. so unless I was dishonest and used someone else's (and possibly getting them in trouble), I'd be on the hook for explaining why I called tennessee.

if it were $20 or $50, I'd fight for it. but it's a $1.50. so I'm just going to be petty and pissed at them and not do much else about it. apathy is great.

 
At 3:37 PM , Blogger christian said...

naw, they're not retarded in canada. in fact, I even said to miyuki, "hey look, my country finally has those kiosks your country has had for years now!"

turns out we don't. we have glorified ATM machines that have nothing to do with the theatres they're atatched to.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home