a simple man in a complex world

Friday, November 09, 2007

our little bundle of joy. and circuity. and plastic. mostly joy.

we have our new compy set up. we named him mordecai. he's adorable. date of boot: 11/4/07. 6.5" x 6.5" x 2", 2.9 pounds. he's got a pasty white complexion, like his daddy.

last night we drove around looking for toys for the little bugger. we picked up a legit copy of iwork '08, so we can quit using the trial. we got a new matching keyboard and mouse. it'll take awhile to get use to that mighty mouse. I keep squeezing it in the wrong place and doing something weird to the screen. we also picked up an external hard disk enclosure. turns out best buy kinda sucks for those (they were all over $50, and by "all" I mean "both"), so we drove down to ren-ton to visit fry's, that mecca of electronic geekery. it had been years since I'd been in a fry's, I had forgotten how BIG they are. they had a selection of about twenty enclosures. we ended up picking the first one we saw, despite looking them all over. $35, AC powered (could not find a single USB powered one), not too horrendously ugly.

we got home, and I started playing whilst watching the office. I managed to get the hard drive installed with minimal cursing, and seem to have everything working. I've copied over all of the files from it, but didn't have chance last night to do a format. this weekend I'll wipe the drive and set up time warp (it's just a jump to the left...) and start playing with some of the other goodies as well. I may even go questing for a leopard dummies book, if there's one released already. it's been so long since I've used a mac, and I really never dabbled with os x much, I could use a thorough tutorial... I do wonder if we should have picked up some dvd-r's while we were at the store. I noticed we've already filled 100gb of the 120gb drive, mostly with torrents. I've been deleting the torrents as I buy the DVDs, but some of those torrents just aren't out yet or may never be released (I'm looking at you, "Cupid"!)... would be nice to burn them to dvd. I just need to figure out how. but hey, at least I've figured out how to use the RSS. a little bit. it's linked in my browser as "thegoogle.aol" for shits and giggles. now I just need to find a proper news feed to read. I'm thinking BBC or CBC, since I don't really trust the 'merkin media...

I imagine that will account for most of my weekend. I may come into work for a few hours to pick up some OT, but mostly I'm going to be geeking out. w00t.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home