a simple man in a complex world

Friday, September 15, 2006

I think I just got fired.

it's a weird feeling. I put my two weeks notice in, but still had another four days to go. my boss wanted to know what our status was on our production schedule, and I told him a tad more candidly than I did before short timer syndrome set in. I don't think he appreciated it, 'cos the next thing I knew, he spent twenty minutes asking where I was on everything and what needed to be done, and I was scooted out the front door. it's a bit disturbing, as I had made plans for next week to go out for lunches, drinks, etc with some of the nicer coworkers. what bothers me more, however, is the state I left the desk in. there was a lot of low priority filing and whatnot I wanted to have cleaned up. I only got partway done. hell, he stopped me halfway through FAXING a bunch of order confirmations... it would have taken five minutes to finish. worst part is, our HR guy was gone. I have to go back in next week to finish my final paperwork, collect my last cheque, etc. it's just awkward, and it left me feeling uneasy. it must have shown on my face too, just when he told me today would be my last day (before I knew I'd be gone within the hour), because a friendly coworker asked what was wrong. I've never been fired before. that was something I was proud of. I guess technically I wasn't fired here either, since I did resign, but I was let go before I was ready. as miyuki says, not my problem anymore. let them deal with it.

so I start my new job tuesday. I had thought about starting at my previous agreed upon day, but that would mean losing a week's worth of pay. I'll be cashing out a week's worth of vacation, but I had planned on that being EXTRA money to go towards something like a computer or elliptical trainer. if I sit around the house all next week playing lego star wars, I can kiss that $500 good-by, as it would become normal income used for food, bills, etc. as it is, I'll have a three and a half day weekend to decompress. hopefully that's enough. I do start with a week's vacation at the new job too, so I can take some time off sooner or later anyway. and now I'll have a memorab;e start date again... I started the old job on hallowe'en. I (re-)start the new job on talk like a pirate day.

guess I'll get back to my lego game... I just unlocked invincibility, which makes those flying levels a whole lot easier. the death star run and the hoth battle are both worth the price of the game alone. you get to trip up AT-AT's with your snow speeder tow cable! it's so frickin' cool!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home