a simple man in a complex world

Sunday, August 27, 2006

kicked in the balls.

first kickball game went pretty well. I'm on the indy team, which means it's anyone who signed up without a team. we've got a mixed bag: some good people, some bad, mostly in between. we have more women than men, which will likely be a disadvantage. I was named team captain. while I'd like to say it was acheived by a bloodless coup (all smothering), it was more like I lost a game of "1-2-3-NOT IT!" we had to pick a captain, no one would step up. I said I'd captained a couple softball teams, and it was handed to me. our shift colour is red, so the team name was voted as "Red Tide" (which I think is lame). I wanted "Red Shirt Freshman" or "Mean Reds" or "Little Red Machine" or even "Dirty Commies"... but alas, I was over-ruled.

we lost tonight, 6-1. it was actually really close until the last inning, when the wheels fell off and we gave up four runs. the other team was a bunch of jerks tho. their pitcher whipped the ball in as hard as he could (which the ump said is "technically" legal but greatly frowned upon, especially for a team of rookies), and they yelled at the ump at least four times on close plays. I was stuck pitching (no one else would/could), and I'm not very good. one guy actually walked, which is also frowned upon. all of their girls bunted every chance they got (again, legal but not kosher). after the game we find out this team used to play in the hardcore league, but dropped down to the fun league. given how "good" they actually were, I'd say their skills don't match their competitiveness. which is the worst kind of athlete... if they were good, they would have just beat us but done it without trying to humilate us. they only won because of their pitching (we couldn't get a rally going), they didn't actually field or kick any better than us. but they sure did get pissy whenever anything didn't go their way. the ump called a good game, too. close calls went both ways. I was proud of my team that they didn't whine, bitch, argue or yell when they went against us. hell, I was probably the worst sport on our team, and I just got fed up. it's bad when the pitcher makes over half the plays (because every girl bunted nearly every time). hell, they even yelled at me for throwing at one of the girls who bunted. from three feet away, and gently.

I went one for two with a double and a pop out. I pitched okay, but definitely got tired towards the end. my arm will be sore in the morning. I also go a couple nasty blisters from my cleats. I won't bother with them next time, the field isn't very good and they didn't make a difference.

I need to look into a practice field at some point. we could use it. I also need to prepare better for the next game for the lineup and fielders. it was tought today 'cos I didn't know anyone's names. we also have several people with the same names (two jeannes, two jennifers, three davids, etc), so we need some nicknames. I'm hopeful the rest of our games are more fun and less competitive. I honestly don't care if we lose every game, so long as we're in it and we play well. I really don't want to win at all costs like the team we played tonight... they were just petty little dicks.

in other news, my dad is supposed to get a call tomorrow from the DM of the branch I'm trying to get hired on it. I have no idea why. they haven't called me back yet. it's a weird company tho. my old boss called me to tell me about the position I'm going for. my old boss is married to my potential new boss. she's also the mother of my last boss there, who was the dick. my dad was telling me that all the DMs know he's a dick tho, so they won't hold that against me. still seems odd that my dad will not be getting TWO calls about me, rather than have them just call me directly... they called him when they wanted me to go in and "interview" too...

we spent a lot of money this weekend, too. miyuki got a DS lite and a couple games. I got a shitload of music DVDs, including four of the directors series... also got a couple new CDs. it's nice that we can actually spend a bit of money right now and not worry about it. there have been some lean weeks since she moved down, and I'm hoping we're past them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home