a simple man in a complex world

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

am I crazy?

I just threw my name in the hat for a job in our payables department. it's traditionally been an all middle-aged fat and/or foreign female department, but recently they did hire a young guy... prestige wise, it's bottom of the barrel for corporate. but it's also vital, so there's ample job security. it'd probably be seen as a step backwards, and definitely isn't a fast track to anywhere. right now I'm in line for management in a few years, which means more money and exponentially more stress.

the lady who runs the department isn't pleasant. she's a nosy gossip, but she's also close to retirement. my current boss is an ass, he's new to management, doesn't know what he's doing but refuses to acknowledge it. he's also trying to run me out because I'm too much a threat to his way of doing things (the wrong way, btw).

the payables job is two miles from home, currently it's 20+. the payables job has far less stress, and the stress it does have is of a manageable deadline variety. all my life I've been caught up in this career path bullshit... I'm beginning to think as long as I can pay my bills and put a bit of money away for fun and old age, who the hell cares? a job is a job, it doesn't need to be a career, no? there are people in that department who have MADE it a career, putting in 20+ years... but it's not like they make much more than people in the field who have the same tenure. I'm thinking a cushy 8-5 gig with low expectations isn't necessarily a bad thing... thoughts?

1 Comments:

At 1:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha ha! so you've finally come around to my way of thinking...
-CHA!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home