a simple man in a complex world

Thursday, August 11, 2005

how will you be remembered?

had an interesting experience tonight. a coworker of mine, the lead warehouse monkey, if you will, had his last day. we'd known he was going to be leaving eventually all along. he's a college grad who was just biding his time to get his pilots license so he could join the air force. he worked a shit job, and being ridiculously overqualified, was easily the best guy we had in the warehouse. but on top of that, he's just a legitimately nice guy. he's a prankster in a harmless way and everyone gets along with him.

I offered to buy him a beer after work to give him a proper send off. I asked everyone else to come along with us. it's a tradition, isn't it? go out for beers one someone's last day.

there are fourteen people at our branch. four showed up, including the guest of honour. me, him, and the two youngest warehouse kids (they're like 24). no one else bothered. they had better things to do or family obligations or whatever. they couldn't even stop by for twenty minutes to say good-by.

that just doesn't seem right to me. here the most likeable person at the branch is leaving, and no one cares.

it kicked my paranoia into overdrive, too. I know I rub people the wrong way. I'm caustic and I'm an ass and most people don't like me. for that very reason, I try to avoid this kind of situation. on two occasions I've even called in sick on my "last day" just to avoid the embarassment of realising no one gave a shit, or worse yet, was happy I'm gone. I've been on the other end of those situations too (let's drink to that ass not working with us anymore!) and find them really uncomfortable.

just has me wondering what it says about the people I work with that they can't even be bothered to go out and wish a coworker well, when this guy has always been supportive and friendly to the rest of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home