a simple man in a complex world

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

city of dis.

peter pointed this out, and it's so spot on it's ridiculous. it's the reason I love seattle so much. people are polite and everything, but the friendliness is only skin deep. no one actually gives a shit about anyone else, and no one expects that of you. smile, make idle chit-chat, and that's all you're obligated to do. it makes for a nice, no hassle existence.

I have my friends that I actually care about and look out for. but then there are the people I run into on the street, at work, at the grocery store... we're polite and faux-friendly to each other, but that's about it. we're all blissfully self-absorbed.

hell, I've lived in four seattle apartments now and I've never known any of my neighbours' names. I barely know my roommate. I find that comforting. I can keep to myself and not be bothered. I like living in a city full of other social retards, none of which know how to interact with each other. it makes me feel normal.

1 Comments:

At 11:35 AM , Blogger christian said...

I do have a bit of a chicken-and-egg conundrum on my hands... wondering if seattle made me the way I am, or if I'm drawn to seattle because I was like this to begin with...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home