a simple man in a complex world

Monday, June 02, 2008

the man with the plan.

after several years of toiling away, seeming as though I'd never dig myself out, I'm on the cusp of being revolving debt free.

I've put in some overtime at work, and should be seeing a fat commission on sales next payday. that will pay off the first of three cards. I've dipped into saving a bit to pay off a huge chunk of the second. the remainder of that big card will be paid off in july, as well as my third card.

I only have three cards.

I'll still owe another $4k or so on my car, it'll be paid off by the end of the year.

oh sure, the student loan will take another five or six years to pay off, but that's a given. $28k just doesn't disappear overnight.

but it'll be really damn nice to have those credit cards paid off. at that point, we can really start saving for a downpayment on a house (I'm still hoping to be able to afford a mortgage by next summer), and miyuki will be rewarded for all of her patience. she'll be able to go shopping and buy herself pretty things when she wants, and we won't have to worry about it.

everything's going to start going on my air miles card, figure if we buy everything on it (gas, groceries, etc), we'll be building up a thousand miles or so each month. that'll add up quickly and enable us to travel more often.

most surprising, however, was that I finally worked up the courage to check my credit score. I'd been scared shitless to check, knowing how badly the ex-wife raped my credit. turns out, I'm in pretty good shape. sure, the number she did on the car payment hurts, but it looks like everything else she did is now gone. that, combined with rapidly paying down everything I could resulted in a score of 749. by the time we're looking at mortgages, I'm hoping to get it up to 800. even so, anything over 740 for FICO is considered very good, so I'm in good shape.

woot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home