a simple man in a complex world

Saturday, February 23, 2008

reminders of why we should move back to canada...

the day seemed to start off so promisingly. I was going to head downtown with some friends for a flash mob, the "seattle freeze"... seattle's own take on this... vancouver and portland were also doing them today, and I'm sure most other metropolitan areas had their own too.

the facebook page for the vancouver event had well over 200 people confirmed. seattle had barely fifty. if I had to guess how many people showed up for the seattle freeze, I'd say maybe 75 at most, seven were just our group. I dunno if we just had a poor locale, or not enough people, or what... but there didn't seem to be the same kind of confusion caused as the original new york freeze. I heard a couple security guards complaining that they didn't know what was going on, but otherwise didn't notice much reaction at all. I guess I'll have to wait for the video to see if there was any reaction I missed.

on our way home, we tried to catch a bus. the bus stop we were at was backed up, there were four buses trying to stop there, ours being the fourth. and rather than waiting until it got to the actual stop, the driver opened the doors half a block away, and some people ran down to get on. then the fucker didn't stop AT the bus stop. we missed the bus, and then had to walk three blocks and wait another ten minutes to catch the other bus that goes to ballard. it's bad enough there are only two buses that go from downtown to our neighborhood (not exactly a tiny borough, mind you), but then those buses can't even manage to stop when and where they're supposed to.

so between a half-assed flash mob that assuredly pales in comparison to vancouver's turnout, to the horrendous transit getting home from said failure, it just has me wondering what again what I'm actually missing by not living in vancouver.

I'm predicting will be back in canadaland within a couple years, basically as soon as I can get my debt paid down and save up a nest egg for a place we can't afford. that's the one area that vancouver might actually suck worse than seattle, we'd definitely never be able to afford a house or condo up there. but at least we could move out to the burbs up there and still have reliable transit into the city. FSM bless the skytrain...

1 Comments:

At 10:49 PM , Blogger Paul said...

Nice FSM reference. I approve.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home