a simple man in a complex world

Friday, February 03, 2006

it never ceases to amaze...

after four months on the job, I finally need to hold a production meeting. I'd been putting it off and putting it off, but they're demanding one. it's gonna suck. but I found out my most senior shop guy, who has been out the past three months and was due back monday from hip surgery, won't be back anytime soon. lots of juggling and suckage. compound that with one of my other guys needing to take nine days off for medical leave, and I'm in quite a pickle. I don't quite understand the meaning of that expression, but it is amusing to say.

anyway, after many revisions and much tinkering, I managed to piece together a schedule that would see all but one job ship on time or early between now and the end of march. that's HUGE. since I started, I don't think we've had more than 50% of the jobs ship on time. and now I'm looking at thirteen jobs going on time to one going late? and five of those on time jobs will go a week or more EARLY? I'm a damn miracle worker. but there's a rub.

the one job that will go late is unacceptable. and it wasn't even my fault. the damn thing STILL hasn't been released from engineering, and some of the parts only got ordered this week. it's due to ship in four, takes two weeks to build plus a week to paint and crate, and the parts have a two to three week lead time. oh, and that guy with the medical leave? he has to build when he comes back.

there's a slim chance even this can be pulled off on time. it'll take a lot of creativity with the labour and a few expedite fees on the parts, but we could pull it off. if we do, and I manage to ship everything on time between now and march 31 (end of our fiscal year), I think I deserve a damn party. I'll definitely be taking my shop guys out for a round of beer.

I still don't understand a lot of the mechanics of what they're doing, but I am getting a lot more comfortable with my side of the job. and I think I'm coming up with ideas and solutions for long standing problems, which is really satisfying. it's good to know I've been able to adapt to this new job and I'm actually doing better than I had expected. now let's just hope that parlays into a fat raise to compensate for all the extra hours I've been putting in...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home