a simple man in a complex world

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

what the pho?

after the gym tonight, we stopped for pho at our friendly neighbourhood pho place. the good one. I decided to try something new. I ordered the soft tendon. I probably won't be doing that again. but I can say I tried it.

it was disgusting to look at. it tasted alright, a bit salty, and kinda slimy like beef fat. if it didn't look so repulsive, I'd probably get it again. I still won't get tripe. I do think I'll switch to brisket from the round eye steak (am I the only one who speculates that "round eye steak" refers to white people they've cut up and put in the soup?). the brisket is something too marbled for my liking, but it tastes so much better...

I also had a bit of a "seattle freeze" moment. there weren't many people in the place. a couple tables over there were two guys, meathead looking types. a couple of hoochie girls came in shortly after and sat behind us. one of the meathead guys ordered an extra large combo. this is a roughly two litre bowl of soup, and it had pretty much every part of the cow in it. it was an ambitious order, but they have it on the menu for a reason. oh, and a diet coke. 'cos after all, you have to have everything in moderation.

when he ordered, one of the hoochies said, really loudly, something along the lines of "jesus christ, where will you stick all of that?!" he responded, "all of what?" and the two hoochies started giggling.

this was mostly disturbing to me because it was so loud as to completely drown out the conversation mooki and I were having. but it also seemed really annoying. I'm sure she thought she was flirting. he probably did too. but I'm from seattle. I'll be the first to admit that I am not overly friendly to random strangers striking up unusual conversations with me. to be approached in such a matter, completely unprovoked, just seems weird to me. it would make me uncomfortable if it happened to me (mostly because these were hoochies and not attractive ladies, but attractive ladies have pretty much never struck up conversations with ME for no reason). hell, it made me uncomfortable just witnessing it.

I'm sure by now the four of them have all gone to some seedy motel and/or one of their places for raunchy sex with each other. I'm debating taking up a collection for the mutant children they are likely conceiving as I type this. but mostly I just don't give a shit.

is it any wonder I expect to end up a hermit in a unabomber shack with a bare bulb swinging over my head and little else by way of furniture?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home