a simple man in a complex world

Thursday, April 16, 2009

'cos my life needed to get worse.

lost my job. lost "my" house. starting to lose my mind. and now, lost my identity.

my oldest credit card, from bank of america (formerly mbna, formerly wamu) has been compromised. about a dozen fraudulent charges showed up, BoA caught them and closed the account. in the meantime, someone also got their hands my cell phone number and an old email address. I was receiving text spams until I called AT&T to block all texting (at twenty cent a pop, that's fucking expensive spam), and have been receiving a call or two every hour from various places that claim I signed up with them online... bankruptcy lawyers, car loans, weight loss programs, criminal justice distance education... the kind of shite you see advertised on telly, and generally less than reputable business endeavours. one of them suspected fraud and tried to verify the email addy, was surprised to find it was my old hotmail addy. my disposable account that I use for places I don't want to get spammed from.

weird thing is tho, I never use the BoA card online. even the online purchases I've made with that contact addy, it's always been amex. there was a fraud alert from BoA on that addy, looked legit (most phishing scams are pretty weak), so I called them. they said they don't have that addy on file. he pulled up an old account, which was closed year ago, and it DID have hotmail on file. he didn't know where that alert came from, so I forwarded it to their phishing department. they've closed the account and flagged all of the fraudulent charges as bogus.

this still sucks a lot of balls. I'm getting a ton of phone calls I don't want, and feel as though my whole life has been compromised. I've contacted the credit bureaus to put alerts on my accounts, but I can't do an actual freeze without a police report, and I can't file a police report until BoA responds to me with their investigation.

when it rains, it really fucking pours. napalm.

I hate my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home